Sunday, December 2, 2007

Havannah club kills brain cells

Last night was my first night out in a club in Novosibirsk. I went to Havannah club with a bunch of friends (I did not know them all at the start of the evening, but I fixed that quite well). Havannah club is a cuban club as its name indicates. Well, for a cuban club, they had good vodka and good stella artois. As a good companion, I drank to be social, (that was needed because there was a significant language barrier) but at the rate we drank, I inadvertently skipped the warning sign that indicates the dangerous crossing from social drinking to getting wasted. I blew off the language barrier in the process, along with a few brain cells.
I recommend Havannah club to anyone coming to Novosibirsk. They first serve a very good dinner, and then there is a show w/ very good dancers around midnight, and then you can dance (the dancers stick around and they dance with you as well).
There is a very appreciated policy in the siberian club that says "we don't close until the last customer leaves". I did not believe that in the first place, so we stayed just to check that it was true. We finished up at 5:30am and jumped in a taxi to go back home.

I learned yesterday that my favorite local drink TAMOUGA was actually called Sambucca. Major disappointment. We had some of course, but they were not as good as in Moscow... The waitress was obviously a novice at serving sambucca and she lit up the drinks with our straws in the glass. The melting point of a plastic straws being quite low, the straws melted and shrunk at the bottom of the glass. We drank it anyway.


Can't wait to try other places. If you are dropping by for a visit, I'll show you those good clubs of Novosibirsk.

2 comments:

Ian said...

Hmm, I would imagine you have to be rather drunk to consume a glass of booze flavoured melted plastic. Congratulations. The club sounds good, do they have rum? One of my main barriers to visiting Russia is that I hate vodka.

Bruce Lenorf said...

Yeah, they have rum. I had planned to have a mojito but somehow, it slipped out of my mind. I don't know what i was thinking.