Tuesday, September 30, 2008

A real fall

Since I was told last year that I arrived in Siberia one week too late to see the best season, I was looking forward to the last week of September to see what it would look like. It looks really good. Other things I was told and I wanted to check:
"In Akademgorodok, there is a season called Indian summer. It lasts all September and it is warm ..." That is true, given that this statement was given to me by -20C in December. But coming from summer, it is cold.
"In Akademgorodok, in the fall, the sky is always blue." That's true only if we assume that the fall started and ended last Saturday. Otherwise it is gray, dark, windy and rainy.
"In Akademgorodok, the trees are wonderful in the fall". That's right. And i am embedding a few pictures to prove it. But with the wind and the rain, it does not last for very long.
"After one year in Russia, you will speak Russian very good". No comment.

5 comments:

Ian said...

Wow, that's very nice. Who's the guy with the old school camera?

Anonymous said...

have you thought about changing careers? your pictures and texts are really good. Maybe you could be travel guide writer (if you haven't done it yet) I love reading your stories!! hehehe! BTW, you're not speaking Russian yet? wait one more year, it'll be perfect :)
Carolina

Anonymous said...

"Otherwise it is gray, dark, windy and rainy"... let me pass on some wisdom I learned that may ease your frustration

Instead of cursing the grey and dark surroundings, light a candle

Instead of cursing the rain, move to Qatar

Chouch said...

You survived one year in Siberia: you should be proud of the accomplishment ;-)

Bruce Lenorf said...

The guy with the old school camera is one of those guys who pretend that digital photography and email messaging will never pick up. Thanks Carolina for your compliment. I really try hard to make this blog a top quality one. As for the candle trick... it does not work when it is rainy. And finally, I will try to survive another year. but it is not that hard here. It is rather a nice place... please fell free to come and see. pleeease...