Monday, May 12, 2008

Deep in Altai



Guess to whom this nice pair of legs belongs to? And guess where they were laying at the time I took this picture? If you think these are my legs facing towards Mongolia, then you are right. Mongolia is just a couple of hundred km behind my feet. I just passed 3 days in Altai, a beautiful region only hours away from Novosibirsk. We were lucky the summer finally decided to show up and we had a nice and sunny week end. Actually, the pair of legs you are looking at with delight now turned redish and the skin is about to peel off.
The people there very much look like asian (Mongol type). There are animals left in the wild pretty much everywhere. The picture below shows horses, but believe me, I also saw cows, sheeps and goats. Simply amazing...
Altai is beautiful, particularly because it is empty and far from everything. Again, that's a feeling that I had not got anywhere in the U.S in the last years. And if I knew how to use my camera, I would have taken beautiful pictures of the sky at night with its thousands of stars.
I plan to go back there in the summer with my bicycle this time...I first need to get back in shape because the nice legs you are staring at lost much of their thrusting power during the cold winter.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Ian said...

Beautiful. (The landscape, that is, not the legs. The legs are a little too pale and hairy for my taste)

Anonymous said...

Altai is really great place!!!! Even you spent a lot of driving time to get in there. Plus I have got a nice new pic for my desktop, my dear friend ;-)
M.F

Anonymous said...

goats,horses, no one in sight...
That sounds like TX.
Just wear a Stetson( may be a fur one) and you'll be set like the good ole days.

CO