Thursday, April 3, 2008

Shashlik season has started



Posted by Picasa
You might think it is a bit early in the season for barbequeing, just by looking at the people kite-snowboarding on the thick layer of ice covering the lake... But it is not too early for the local variant of BBQ: the shashlik. Shashlik means "kabob" or brochette, and is made with marinated meat to be eaten with pickled onions and sauce. It tastes awesome ("Vkusno", in Russian), and the fire keeps you warm. I already went shashlicking 2 times and I quite enjoy it, at least as much as I used to enjoy the BBQ+swimming pool parties in Texas, but with more clothes on, and without a cooler full of beer.
In the background of the first picture, you can also see little black dots: those are fishers who dig holes through the ice to find fish. I guess the fishing season stops after the first casualty falling through the ice, which is estimated to be about mid-May.

All right... and one more picture just to show you that Siberia looks nice when you look at it from the right angle:

4 comments:

Ian said...

Looks really vkusno. No cooler full of beer? Do you have to drink vodka instead of beer? 'cos I really hate vodka

Phil said...

They should not need kites, looks like the lake has some gradient on your picture.

Bruce Lenorf said...

The point was that you don't need a cooler to keep your beer cold, which is definitely a plus over a pool party in Texas.

Phil, in the real world, people use the word "slope" for "gradient". I know that it is not scientifically correct, since the term "slope" assumes a linear correlation between boundaries of the lake. But I recommend you do like me, give up and accept to live in a place driven by linear correlations. I even listened without protesting the other day when an acquaintance of mine described the lake as being "flat"...That's how bad I got.

Phil said...

I do not belong to the real world... I'm beyond the trivial common mortal... I like gradients and I hate chlopechs.