Sunday, November 4, 2007

The Ob sea

Hi everyone. This morning, the weather was nice and warm, and I thought I would go down to the lake by Akademgorodok to make nice pictures for the blog. The name of the lake is the Ob Sea (yes, only "ob", like in "oben merde alors"). I only put on 4 layers of clothes and rode my bike (on which I have put winter tires with little metallic studs) down to the lake. I got my camera out and... no memory card. I had left it at my place. So no picture from the actual lake for you, but a picture of the Ob river downstream of the lake which I took a few days earlier.

The Ob Sea is actually the Novosibirsk reservoir. It is the largest artificial lake in Novosibirsk Oblast and Altai Krai created by a dam on the Ob River near Novosibirsk. The reservoir is 200 km long and up to 20 km wide. The power of hydroelectric power is 400 MW. During the summer, it is one of the most popular destinations for Novosibirsk residents with many yachts and boats dotting the surface of the lake, and the beaches teaming with people (thanks Wikipedia... now my turn). In November, the beaches are very empty except for a few stray dogs and empty beer cans.
I don't know if I will go back there before a while (probably not before the lake is totally frozen, and litters covered with a layer of pure white snow). It is almost depressing in November. However, on my way back, I got lost in the woods by the botanical garden, and I had a lot of fun on my bicycle. The place is really quite good for mountain biking.
More pictures of the Ob Sea are available at this link.

4 comments:

Chouch said...

Bruno, it has happened to you before: don't forget your sunblock when you go to by the sea.

Anonymous said...

I start feeling that you're trying hard to convince yourself you're having fun...

Ian said...

I want metallic studs for the tires on my bike!

Bruce Lenorf said...

Well, here, chapstix is more important than sunblock. And metallic studs are really cool to bike on snow. They are a must have here in Siberia.