Thursday, November 11, 2010

1, 2... and 3!

I have now officialy completed my 3rd year in Siberia. That is a happy event. I can now celebrate that I am 3 years closer to leaving than when I arrived. Tadaa.
It is funny how I did not notice that I actually spent 3 years here. You wouldn't notice either if you heard me speaking Russian, in fact I am still struggling with sentences other than the subject-verb-complement type. Still, I get better everyday and God knows where I will stop. I may not even stop at all, maybe I'll keep on moving asymptotically toward the holy grail -intermediate level-. What will I then do with all my Russian language skills once I leave Russia? Keeping up the level by practicing with Urmik? That won't do it... Call me a condescending jerk, but the truth is that Urmik is not even a the subject-verb-complement level yet. 'Verb only' is good enough for all the messages I usually convey to Urmik (run, shut up, eat, get off the couch) and he gives me a confused look when I try to initiate him to more complex phrasal construction (like "mais qui c'est le gros toutou a son pepere?").
What else will I get out of those 3 years beside the semantics to talk to Urmik? Hmmm... character? I guess living in a bureaucratic country with very cold climate is good to build character, which is nice if you still want to build character at 34. And I also grew a thicker skin by living in cold in Siberia. Literally.
The highlight of my 3 years here is that I met Katya. She was well worth a few frostbites, and if I had to do it again, I'd give away a few toes all over again without hesitation just to meet her. Katya and I are now going to get married so we can stay together for life. We will do this in Moscow once all our preparative paperworks is done -no big party, sorry, just something between me and her. Still, that will be a happy event... May the 4th year bring more happy event to us (and to all y'all).

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! Are you going to honeymoon in Baikal?

so what is the second best thing about living in Siberia? Owning a Niva perhaps???

Anonymous said...

Tres touchant

Chouch said...

Felicitations! En attendant de se croiser un de ces 4

Ian said...

Fantastic news! Congratulations to the three of you. Ian and Nikki.

Anonymous said...

Bruno & Katya, Congratulations to both of you!! Katya, will you be wearing a white wedding dress on Red Square?! Wish we were still there...
Sonia & Eddie

Anonymous said...

Eddie, do you still wish you were still there? I can talk to personnel and see if we can get you a transfer back...
Tim

Anonymous said...

No, complete misunderstanding! We wish we were there only for the celebrations!

Natalia Eltsova said...

Congrats! I'm happy for you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bruno, Happy new Year just wondering if there were any xmas, new year update, but I guess you are on vacation...or frozen in sibiria, either one hope you all the best for this 2011 and if you are frozen...wish you all the best fro 2111 when they unfroze you!

saludos

Raúl

Anonymous said...

VAMOS AJUDAR O RIO DE JANEIRO?
www.vitimasdaenchente.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

by the way, here is the link.. demostrates some clishes typically foreignes have about Russia http://rutube.ru/tracks/4266380.html?kot=1
congratulations with 3 yesrs )

Peggy Sage said...

Hello my friend! I wish to say that this post is awesome, nice written and include almost all important infos. I’d like to see more posts like this

AJ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TRAVELS said...

Fantastic!
Congratulation

Admin said...

Good Job :)

Saad said...

http://whatzzin.blogspot.in/

ps3 jailbreak said...

I was able to find good info from your blog posts.