Sunday, February 21, 2010

Stuck...

Having a road accident in Russia is really something you want to avoid... more than in other countries: Russian law requires the drivers involved in the accident to leave their cars exactly as they are at the time of impact until the police agents arrive and record all the necessary elements. Knowing there is only a handful of police agents who are qualified to investigate the accidents in the whole Novosibirsk, you're up for a few hours of waiting. That's plenty of time to get to know the person you just bumped into. It's also plenty of time to face the angry look of the other drivers you are blocking, if you happen to block all the lanes like the accident I spotted the other day.
I think it is all part of the country's road safety policy, that aims at decreasing the accident rate by public humiliation. The look on those poor people's face stuck on the road is reminiscent of the look I saw on stray dogs that got stuck while copulating in public, trying to maintain dignity in an embarrassing situation, and waiting for a relief out of their control.
It hasn't happened to me yet (I mean, the road accident). I am touching some wood for it not to happen, and sharpening my defensive driving skills every day on my commute.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow... interesting combination of words there Bruce. Discussions of copulating canines followed by a statement that you are "touching some wood for it [traffic accidents] not to happen". I'd be worried that by touching some wood while driving you are only increasing your odds of getting in a fender bender. Keep both hands on the wheel and stop thinking about those frisky dogs.

Ian said...

Surely you could maneuver Niva up the big hill there on the right?