Saturday, December 26, 2009

Going to the market

We decided to cook big dinners for the holidays, so it was the occasion to go to the market in town for our shopping. I never went to the market in the 2+ years that I have been in Novosibirsk, because I was quite happy with the frozen pizzas from the store down my street. That was before I had my menus revised by Katya... Of course, now, I eat much healthier food. For example, this is what we brought back from the market for our snacks:
What's on the left is not rotten tomatoes, it is "hurma". They are actually quite rotten, otherwise they taste bad. I think they are called "kaki" in France, but here, we have got many sorts of them, all of them requiring to be rotten before being eaten. We took 2 kilograms of those because it is such a delicacy and because there is no concern about them perishing any further. On the right, this is our "tvorog" that we now eat for breakfast. It is a kind of cottage cheese. I am not an expert and I can't tell what makes a good tvorog vs a bad tvorog, but I was told the one we got from the market was a very good one. So we took 1 kilogram of it.

We also bought a duck from the lady butcher, and 2 kg of beef for the beef bourguignon that I prepared for the Christmas eve dinner. See the good meat at the market below.
So as you see, we can find almost everything at the market... except pearl onions, which can't be found anywhere in Siberia apparently. So I have to change my recipe for beef bourguignon.

Happy holidays!

4 comments:

hotrocdoc said...

fkusna!

Anonymous said...

Glad Katya's taking you out and showing you the more authentic side of Russia. You know if you want a closer "old world" butcher shop they have a market or Targovey Pavilion in Akadem on Terashkova 19 near the ice skating rink. You can also find another meat palace (complete with bloody tree stumps and 60 year old scales) in Berdsk on Pervomanskaya. Enjoy your gruel!

Anonymous said...

Интересно написано....но многое остается непонятнымb

Ian said...

Nice! Except for the Hurma. That looks bloody awful. Happy New Year to you Katya and Urmik.