Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A lesson about hockey

It's been about 7 weeks now that I have started playing hockey regularly. It is time to make a first assessment of my skills.
For the people who don't remember the colors of my outfit, and who have never seen me skating, I am attaching this little movie to show that you don't need a camera with high resolution, or you don't even need to see my face to recognize me on the ice:



As you can see, my style is quite eloquent: I skate as fast as I can, forward, straight, and I use the walls to stop. Still, to help you spot me in the other movies: I have a red shirt, blue shorts, a white helmet, and usually I really have to fight hard to get the puck because my teammates don't pass it to me.

Now, there are times when the same set of skills -skating straight, not stopping- can give a good impression.

That's pretty much the coolest move I did in 7 weeks. I call it the "Big Dive". A word of caution: don't overuse it. The "Big Dive" becomes predictable, and therefore much less effective, once you do it 3 times in a row or more.

So, to me, hockey is mostly about falling at the right time, without too much damage.
A last little movie to show how I can handle the puck when I get it:


Well, OK... That movie was taken during the warm-up, before the game started... but it is promising, no? Note that I got back to a leftie stick after I hesitated between a rightie and a leftie for the first few sessions.

Thanks Natasha for the movies. Next movie is my first goal... Stay tuned (for a long time).

5 comments:

Chouch said...

You don't seem relax enough

Ian said...

If we can't see your face, how do we know that this is you and not Wayne Gretsky? The styles are so similar.

Bruce Lenorf said...

Chouch: If all I need is looking more relax, that's pretty encouraging. You haven't seen many hockey games on TV, have you?
Ian: You are not the first one asking this question. Look at the brand on the skates, Wayne and I voluntarily wear different ones.

Anonymous said...

The spirit of the country- world hockey champion - will help you to learn fast :) don't worry

Michelle Beney said...

Slamming into the wall has got to hurt! Keep practicing...it will get better one day!