Monday, October 20, 2008

I am not a leper

As part of my Russian visa renewal, I was tested for leprosy last week. This was in addition to my HIV and tuberculosis tests. No need to argue that I still have all my fingers and my mere skin problems are a bit of redness after shaving, I had to go. So I hid my little bell and left my long coat at home and complied with the rule. It turns out I am not a leper. Even if it did not really come as a surprise, that was still a relief. The doctor made a visual inspection of my arms and back, and in spite of his expertise, could not detect any more symptoms of leprosy than I did. So I was able to go back to work.
I shall come back with more interesting story next time. Maybe about a medical test for bubonic plague or scurvy. Russian authorities would help me making better plots with more suspense if they actually tested diseases that are still around in the 21st century.

5 comments:

Ian said...

That's a relief, when's your test for St. Anthony's Fire?

Anonymous said...

Did they test for IPD (inability to play darts) or ASC (addiction to stinky cheese)?
dj

Anonymous said...

Speaking of which, how is Russian cheese? Please comment more on the local delicacies.
dj

Anonymous said...

Congrats again!! you're not a leper!
nothing to do with your post but I went to Belgium (Antwerpen)in September and while having beer in one of the bars there I saw a guy that looked exactly like you.. I was totally freaked out, do you have a twin brother? Carolina

Bruce Lenorf said...

Well... funny, I was born near Antwerpen. Maybe that was my hidden twin. Did you ask him if he could crack his nose?