Wednesday, February 6, 2008

My first new car

Some remains of the materialistic and individualist sides of my personality that i grew in Texas... I decided to buy a car. This is my first new car by the way (contrary to what you may think, my Toyota Tercel was second hand). A little summary of my day at the Russian CarMax, which sounds like Karl Marx, and I brainstormed for a long time today trying to make a good pun out of that, but I could not find anything... So I give you the raw material for a good joke as extra gift.


First, note that the selection is great. The models vary by color, which you can hardly notice because of the snow.
These little cars go fo 170,000 rubles/piece. It is still twice as much as my previous car, and it does not come with airbag. Definitely a good choice if you don't mind the condescending attitude of valets at the parking lot when you hand over the keys.

I just closed a good deal, which calls for a nice and firm handshake. I must say that the car dealer has good reasons to be happy, since I just gave him a pile of cash that pays for 60% of the car. With roubles, that is a nice pile of 1,000 notes.


And that's my new car, which is also my best friend from now on... maybe it will also be my girlfriend if things keep on going the same way, but that's another story. It is a Chevy Niva. It is a 4*4 with a powerful 1.7L engine. It is a variant of the infamous Lada Niva, which guarantees a good reliability.
More pictures of me and Niva in the next weeks!
Posted by Picasa

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Lord, she does look cute. And 1.7 litres is very impressive. I am sure she will be very agile on those icy roads. Will she be well used by the time we visit in March?!

Here in Moscow, you really need something like a Maybach or a Landcruiser to keep up with the fockers....

Anonymous said...

Eddie was shocked that I didn't think about asking you the car brand earlier today on the phone. He said I'm just a girl...!

Ian said...

You should have just gone with CarlMax being the dealer's name. I'd have got it, I think. And I'd have laughed, a lot.

The nice man shaking your hand is named ABTO-1. I think you may have just bought a car from a robot. Plus he's got a picture of an alien on his computer monitor. I think you should be worried.

Anonymous said...

Ian, are you sure that ABTO-1's picture is an alien? Looks to me rather like a fat belly dancer w/ his or her hands in the air? Its from photos like this that all the UFO confusion has arisen....

And what about that KGB-like guy in the corner? Or is that Bruce's body guard?

Unknown said...

Bruno, If I am not mistaken, this is also your first non-burgundy colored car...

I don't see a mention of top speed anywhere. Let us know when you find out...

Anyway, congratulations and have fun with your new ride!!!

Ian said...

Hmm, if it is, it's the world's fattest belly dancer. But maybe that's what passes for hot on ABTO-1's planet.

regis said...

good choice , she has very beautiful eyes.

Anonymous said...

I love the first picture. It looks like the Peugeot 204 my grand mother had... Stylish! Do you have air conditionning?

Bruce Lenorf said...

ABTO-1 is the result of an early attempt to kill Sarah Connor, inadvertently sent to the wrong place. He reprogrammed himself as a CHEVROLET car dealer.
Still, if your name is Sarah, you should be careful...

Anonymous said...

Its been a few months now since you have purchased your first car. I am thinking of buying the same model next year, wonder if you can fill me in with your experience with it. Is it worth it? reliable? easy to maintain? nice mileage?

thanks

HOTEL PARIS said...

Good luck!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Danille Folson said...

Your Chevrolet Niva seems to be your loved ones' favorite ride! I am happy for all of you then. This vehicle is a good choice. And btw, I agree with Ava here. Oil and fluid change shouldn't be mere options, but a must, especially since cold weather can threaten your car's performance.

-Danille Folson