Sunday, February 10, 2008

More car stories

I received my car on Thursday, after ABTO-1 put on the winter tires and the autostart, a nice feature that allows me to start the car remotely 15 minutes before getting in, so it is warm. I also had the stereo installed...
Now comes the fun part: going to the insurance, then to the administrative office to get the license plate, then to another place to get certified that the identification number of the engine matches the one on the frame of the car and the one in the paperworks, then to the army to get my car registered (you have to do that only if it is a car manufactured in Russia), then to the technical inspection. Before doing all this, I am supposed to pass a medical examination where they check that I am physically and mentally able to drive a car. I was supposed to see a psychologist, and it would have been a lot of fun... I might not pass as mentally normal person when speaking Russian... However, for the sake of saving time, I just added a friend on my insurance who already passed all the tests and I will use his paperworks to get the car registered... a little glitch in the system that allows everybody who has healthy friends to drive a car.

I will keep you posted of my adventures with Niva. Happy birthday to me and talk to you later...

7 comments:

figster said...

Hi, sorry to intrude, however you look like a nice chap, and we (3 of us) are coming to Novosibisk for the eclipse in August. We are having serious difficulties in finding accommodation that isn't a rip-off. I you have time to talk please could I ask you some questions? Thank you

PS congratulations on your new car!!

figster said...

Hi, sorry to intrude, however you look like a nice chap, and we (3 of us) are coming to Novosibisk for the eclipse in August. We are having serious difficulties in finding accommodation that isn't a rip-off. I you have time to talk please could I ask you some questions? Thank you

PS congratulations on your new car!!

figster said...

Not very cleaver at using bloggs, you're my first, and also my second - sorry

Bruce Lenorf said...

Figster,

I'll be happy to help, but I am a newbie here and there is not much that I know about Novosibirsk... Not even the language. If you give me an email address I can ask around and give you links for hotels in Novosibirsk. Maybe that would help.

Ian said...

Happy birthday Bruce. Nice work on cheating the Russian system.

figster said...

Hi Bruce, Thank you so much for responding, I've really searched searched for accommodation, found an apartment, it's a bit weird but it will do the job! I've joined a forum called Novosibirskguide, which seems quite new, and there seems to be some other eclipse enthusiasts from around the world that have joined. Anyway my E-mail is Figster@fsmail.net if you would like to stay in touch. PS That thing with the diesel, I lent a friend my Van to save them money, and they ended up doing exactly the same thing - cost a fortune. Cheers Figster

Anonymous said...

Where can I get myself one of those remotes that can start up the car? Isn't it a waste of gas?