Monday, January 21, 2008

What's hot on Fridays?

Yeah, yeah, I know, ice sculptures are real nice too look at, but that's now how you imagine I spend my Friday nights in Akademgorodok. So, here is a typical Friday night around here...

1- Make sure the temperature is not above -28C, and you gather a group of friends at about midnight by the New York Pizza.

2- Go to the Ob Sea, and find a good spot for digging an ice hole. Yes, that's right, it can be hard to walk on the lake covered by over 1 meter of snow, and the digging with axes is long and tedious...
















3- The security guards show up. I thought we were going to get busted, but they just made sure we knew what we were doing. I thought that was a trick question: the answer seemed obvious enough to me: "It is 1am, -28C and we are digging an ice hole with axes". I would rather question if they knew what they were doing, at patrolling a 4000km2 lake at 1 am and then not even busting the people that dig holes.

4- Well... we give up on our first hole: the ice is too thick and the security guards told us
about a nice ice hole on the other side of the lake. So we gather our stuffs (mainly axes) and walk back to the cars and drive around the lake.









5-We stop by a church to ask the directions to the ice hole. Time goes by. I feel like a walrus looking for an ice hole and running out of patience... Except I am on the right side of the ice layer and that the polar bears won't get me when I find the hole.









6- 2am: the HOLE! I hesitate for 5 minutes, and then, under peer pressure, I go for it. That's where these wonderful shots of me were taken.


No resemblance with Brigitte Bardot running on the beach of St Tropez.. I would say it looks more like the end of Titanic. Going in is hard. The body parts that have me huff and puff when going in a water at 18C are tying a big knot in my throat. And then the hardest is when you go outside and the ice sticks under the feet, the wind freezes the layer of water over your whole body and you can't find the damn sleeves of your freaking sweater! I had to take my underpants off by the way, which I did without any concern about what other might think. I think in the process I got cured from my recurrent nightmares of being at the public swimming pool all naked with my classmates looking at me.

6- Once done, go back 1/2 mile to where the cars are parked and drink some cognac. Then party until 5am and call it a night. Get some rest before next week.

13 comments:

Nikki said...

Why is everyone else nicely wrapped up? I hope some other people did the same thing, and it wasn't just them laughing at the silly french fool that jumped into a frozen lake!

Nikki said...

Why is everyone else nicely wrapped up? I hope some other people did the same thing, and it wasn't just them laughing at the silly french fool that jumped into a frozen lake!

Bruce Lenorf said...

Hmmm... I don't think so, they're really good friends, they just made sure I experienced the local tradition in its whole. After I came out of the hole, they even threw my clothes in the water and told me to go home by foot, as required by the local tradition. And they stayed up late, waiting for me at my place with the TV running and the heat on so I could warm up.

Ian said...

I didn't see your head go all the way under, so I don't think it counts.

Anonymous said...

Ouaiiiis! Hé chapeau, pas mal fait le trucage! Ca a du douiller d'acheter tout ce polystyrene blanc! C'est domage, on appercoit un palmier dans le fond... Ca devait être trop bien quand même ton voyage au Sénégal!

Anonymous said...

Fucking Hell! Moscow is much more civilized!

Anonymous said...

Ok. I am in Houston, it is 21 degC inside the house and I am freezing...
Go figure!

You forgot to mention how much cognac you are supposed to drink before going in.

Bruce Lenorf said...

Ian, Are you serious, putting my head all the way in? You think I am crazy?

Loic, rule #1 when you take a frozen bath: don't drink anything before going in the water. That's no joke to do this. A wrong step, a few seconds too much to put your clothes back on, and you pay that with a frozen limb...

Anonymous from Moscow: you call endless traffic jams civilized? I wonder who you are, but something tells me you might be coming to Novosibirsk soon and that you might be victim of the local joke (which involves a hidden ice hole covered with a few dead leaves...).

Alex&Fi said...

Hi Bruno! Happy New Year! Swimming in Ice Holes?! It's hardly a hot tub in Houston....well done you! Looks like you're having a great time out there. I now know I can't complain about the drop to 14degrees here!
Fi...xxx

Anonymous said...

hehehehe!! I can't believe you went to the ice hole with no alcohol in your system!!! brrr!!!!

Phil said...

I knew you were an ice hole... kind of guy.

Bruce Lenorf said...

Geezz... Look at what I have to do to get a decent amount of comments on my blog. Ian only has to feed his bunny to get to the same number of comments on his blog. That is not fair.
Thanks everybody! I wish you were all here with me to share my experience!

Choumi said...

These drunken russians are great! they manage to make tourists do any stupid things just by calling them "traditions". ahahahah

I believe you are mouth-kissing and warmly huging any guys of your lab, hum?

Ahahah and Nazdarovié!