Sunday, May 16, 2010

Rediscovering the world with new eyes: wildlife

I used to think there was no wildlife around Akademgorodok. That was before I got into photography. Oh! I used to be such a banal pointer-and-shooter, oblivious to the beauty of nature surrounding me. How could I just go around like that and watch the world through 7.1 Megapixels only? Why did nobody tell me about features other than the "Auto" mode? Am I the first one to open my eyes beyond what's on my old tiny LCD screen? Are we all walking through life, blind to the beauty around us just because the Auto mode of our camera does not have the right shutter speed or aperture?

I now have a big heavy camera with many buttons. It's black, it has many features, and I look very cool when I walk with it. And the Auto mode works great. And now I see the world from another perspective. Let's just take wildlife as an example (our first example of what I believe will be a long series): What I thought was a tamed schnauzer is now revealed to me as a fierce predator. Look how he nearly breaks that branch by the strength of his jaws! and how he rests on the beach like a... wild thing that he is!


And look at these birds: isn't that wild? That's not your grandma's chicken, I can tell you that.

And with my new camera, even toads that copulate look good...

I am so excited about the new dimension that is now open to me with this big black camera. More beautiful pictures on your way very soon...

3 comments:

Ian said...

That poor, poor third toad looks like he missed out on all the fun

Natalia Eltsova said...

It took you a while to publish your first pictures from your new camera so I guess you finally found out how all the settings work, congrats!

Bruce Lenorf said...

Yes, toad #3 is a poor toad... still, if I had to choose, I'd still prefer to be toad #3. Maybe I can be persuaded into being toad #1, but certainly not toad #2.