Monday, January 12, 2009

For the sake of completeness

Three weeks ago, I wrote about how Russia was a great country for soups... well, that was before we ordered the fish soup from a restaurant that was recommended to me. Here is what we got:

If you are not sure about what you ordered because of the language barrier, this soup has the advantage of being self explanatory: it is indeed a fish soup. The recipe? I can't tell for sure, but that must include boiling water, adding onions and a fish, and serving hot. This soup is called "Ucha", certainly named after the sound that people make when they choke on a fish bone (Ucha! Ucha!).

I wonder what the chicken soup looks like in that restaurant.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Ian said...

Yep. That is a no doubt about it fish soup. It's not like you could order the fish soup, have that turn up and say 'this is not what I ordered'.

Chouch said...

Do you have a picture of what's left after you ate it? I wonder!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! This is too funny! You had me in tears! Sounds like you are exploring the entire country over there!

Bruce Lenorf said...

chouch, the picture works both for before and after I 'ate' it. Michelle, sorry for the tears... that must be the onions.

Anonymous said...

Ah, the old Russian joke: Waiter, there's an omoul in my soup!
Keep up the great food stories. How's the Russian beer? Better than Busch? -DJ